Combining ThemeRoller download and the download builder into one
Paul did some great work on the download builder and TR downloader
over the weekend and now the zips generated by them are almost
The next step is to tie them together into the download builder. The
logic for extracting images and writing the ui.theme.css file can
easily be brought into the download builder's php. Then, the download
builder simply needs one more form input for a theme URL and all
ThemeRoller downloads would get pushed over to the download builder
How the download builder page would change:
- We would add a "Theme" field to the right column. It would be a
select menu with our standard theme gallery options (defaulting to "No
Theme"). The select will be rebuilt with JS to look sorta like our
theme switcher widget. When a themeable widget is selected and no
theme is currently selected, the theme menu will be set to the first
- The logic for writing the ui.theme.css file and its images will need
to be brought over from the ThemeRoller download.php. This should be
pretty easy to integrate.
- Ideally, if you click the link to go to ThemeRoller and design a
custom theme, the builder could cookie your settings for when you
return (except for chosen theme)
How ThemeRoller will change:
- When you click the download button, you'll be directed to the
Download Builder. All fields except for effects will be selected and
the theme menu will have an selected first option called "Custom
Theme" which will contain a value of the passed theme url from
- The small link to download a jquery ui 1.5 theme will be deleted!
This will allow for a number of nice changes:
- Our zip downloads will be consistent which will make them much less
confusing for users. We'll only need one "how to" guide.
- Our backend will be much simpler.
- Users can choose to download just a theme, if they'd like, or
include any widgets they want as well.
I mocked up the scenarios and posted them to the wiki:
Download builder default: https://jqueryui.pbwiki.com/f/download_v2_themeint_a.png
Download builder theme menu open: https://jqueryui.pbwiki.com/f/download_v2_themeint_b.png
Download builder custom theme populated from TR download:
It would be great to get this underway as soon as possible. Thoughts?