IE10/IE11 Intermittent AJAX error: SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Network Error 0x2efe

IE10/IE11 Intermittent AJAX error: SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Network Error 0x2efe

I get the following intermittent error in IE10/IE11 when making an AJAX request. I can submit the same request several times, but every 6th (or so) request will fail with this error in the IE F12 console:

"SCRIPT7002: XMLHttpRequest: Network Error 0x2efe, Could not complete the operation due to error 00002efe."

I have seen many discussions about this around the internet but have not found a solid answer on how to fix it.

I am making calls to Spring MVC like this:

1. $.ajax({ 
         method: 'POST',
    url: cp + '/systest/getResultsData.json', 
    data: { 
         serialNum: $('#serialNum').val(),
         returnAttrs: 'Y'
         },
         contentType: 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8',
    dataType: 'json'
         })
         .done(self.loadCallback)
         .fail(function(jqXHR, textStatus) {
         self.displaySimpleDialog('ERROR', 'Unknown error fetching data. Status: ' + textStatus);
         });

Value of textStatus only contains the value "error". It appears that the request is never actually sent. 

This does not happen in Firefox or Chrome with the very same request.

I tried this with all latest versions of jQuery (v1.11.3 and v.2.1.4)

Turning on Fiddle to monitor the network traffic makes the issue stop happening for some reason. It will return when Fiddle is turned off.

I can trace jQuery to see the following exception is thrown internally:

stack "SyntaxError: Syntax error\n   at jQuery.parseJSON ( /jquery/jquery.js:8520:3)\n   at ajaxConvert ( /jquery/jquery.js:8846:8)\n   at done ( /jquery/jquery.js:9718:8)"

status 0
nativeStatusText ""
state "parsererror"
error Syntax error
statusText ""
modified undefined

This happens because the HTTP status is never set and has a value of zero. There is no response from the server because the request is never made.

Does anyone have ideas on how to troubleshoot what is happening within jQuery before the exception happens?

Thanks.
Ken